Good afternoon WAJ Families:
WAJ continues to prepare for a safe and successful return to in-person classes on Thursday, September 9, 2021. While specific details regarding the opening of school for your child (such as the school calendar, transportation schedule and classroom information) will be provided via mail in the coming week, this message is intended to update you on where WAJ is currently with our reopening plan as it relates to COVID.
The New York State Education Department has issued guidance to all public schools, which mirrors the latest Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommendations on school reopening amid the COVID pandemic. WAJ will be following this guidance to enable in-person instruction this September. Most of these recommendations are a continuation of what we did in the spring of 2021. In a nutshell, here are the major points:
- WAJ will be offering traditional in-person instruction on campus. There will no longer be a remote option. If a student is absent from school, classroom work will be accessed through asynchronous electronic and written methods as was done prior to the COVID pandemic.
- Daily health attestation forms will be used to ensure a child’s health is assessed by the parent or guardian prior to entering the school or district transportation. Symptomatic children and adults must stay home.
- Masks will be worn by everyone inside the building and on school transportation.
- Mask breaks will be provided when possible and at the direction of the principal.
- 3-feet of social distancing will be maintained to the extent possible indoors or outdoors.
- Contact tracing and quarantining will follow CDC guidelines and will be coordinated with the Greene County Department of Health.
- WAJ will not provide COVID testing or vaccinations on campus.
- Daily sanitizing and cleaning strategies used to reduce the risk of COVID spread will continue.
- Traditional sports and other extracurricular activities will be offered this fall.
- No visitors on school grounds except for official business.
In order to remain open for in-person instruction and COVID free, WAJ needs your help each day. To limit the length and volume of quarantine orders, please do your part and follow CDC guidelines and please keep symptomatic children home. Simply put, quarantines sideline teachers and essential staff members and jeopardize our ability to offer on campus, in-person classes and programming. The wearing of masks and maintaining social distance help to reduce the risk of a quarantine order being placed on both student and staff member by the DOH.
Additional updates will be provided before the first day of classes electronically, on the website, and in traditional mailings. We hope you enjoy the last few weeks of the summer recess safely.
We look forward to seeing all of you soon.
John Wiktorko, Superintendent